Landlord fined over carbon monoxide poisoning

The landlord of a business unit in Blackburn has been found guilty of health and safety breaches after two people suffered carbon monoxide poisoning from a dangerous gas heater.

Two employees at a blinds showroom were taken to hospital in December 2010, after suffering from headaches and nausea for many months.

Tests revealed that both men had elevated levels of carbon monoxide in their blood. One of the men had to be kept in hospital overnight and treated with oxygen.

The Health and Safety Executive investigation found that the landlord of the unit, Mohammed Asghar, had failed to ensure that the gas heater he provided in the showroom was safe.

During the two day trial, Blackburn Magistrates’ Court heard that the men had grown concerned that they might have been exposed to carbon monoxide after researching their symptoms on the internet.

One of the men’s blood levels contained three times the normal levels of carbon monoxide, despite being measured at the hospital hours after he was last exposed to the gas.

The gas heater was found to be immediately dangerous when a National Grid engineer visited the showroom. The heater was taken out of use and a new heating system has since been installed.

Vicki Wright, expert personal injury lawyer at Swain & Co Solicitors, says, “The men were extremely fortunate that the carbon monoxide did not rise to a fatal level. Customers and visitors to the showroom were also put in danger.”

“It is a landlord’s responsibility to ensure that the equipment that they provide for their tenants is adequately maintained and safe to use. As the landlord supplied the gas heater, he was responsible for ensuring it was safe.”

If you or a loved one has been a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by the failure of others, be it a tradesperson who worked on your appliances or home; a landlord that failed to maintain appliances; or a holiday provider who failed to maintain appliances, Vicki Wright and the personal injury team can help.

We are experienced personal injury lawyers that can act for you on a no win no fee basis, offer you a free initial advice and will help you get the compensation you deserve.

Call Vicki for free on 0800 0351 999

Related News: Defective Product Claims: Beko products linked to deaths and damage