Jamie Oliver’s Restaurant Portsmouth fined for personal injury

Jamie Oliver’s restaurant in Portsmouth has been fined over personal injury caused to a woman who was served pasta contacting wheat when she was allergic to it.

The restaurant was fined £8,500 after serving the pasta to Ms Kristy Richardson who suffers from Coeliac disease.  Eating the pasta caused Ms Richardson to potentially miss out on a life changing transplant.

Ms Richardson suffers from an illness that means she needs a heart and lung transplant.

The sickness caused by eating the wheat based pasta at Jamie Oliver’s restaurant Portsmouth meant that she was temporarily removed from the organ donor register.

She will never know if during that time she missed out on the chance of life changing surgery.

The incident occurred in November 2011 when Ms Richardson was at the restaurant to celebrate a wedding anniversary to her then husband (the couple have since divorced).

There was a mixup between the waitress and the chef which resulted in Ms Richardson receiving a vegetarian meal instead of a gluten-free meal as she had asked for.

Melanie Lidstone-Land, expert personal injury lawyer, says,

“It is not unreasonable to assume that the restaurant has a policy and routine in place to ensure that these mistakes do not happen.  Ms Richardson was entitled to assume that the restaurant would serve the food that she ordered but, in this instance, it seems a mistake was made which has had, potentially, disastrous consequences.”