What should I do if I am injured in a road traffic accident?

Havant Personal Injury Solicitor, Vicki Wright, provides some practical tips if you have been involved in a car accident and have suffered an injury.

It seems that almost every day, there are traffic accident reports and lane closures on the M27 in Portsmouth and Southampton, the A3 or A3(M), or problems on more local roads in Havant, Emsworth or Waterlooville due to road traffic accidents.  Clearly, if the accident is serious, then the emergency services will be involved from the outset but what should you do if you are involved in an accident that is fortunately less serious?

It is very important that you stop at the scene of the accident if you believe that there has been an injury to people or animals.  If someone needs urgent medical attention, you should call 999 and request an ambulance. The Police will also turn up.  If an ambulance is not required but the road is blocked or damaged; or if someone leaves the scene without leaving their details, then call the Police.

Always have a notebook and pen available in your car.  The more information you can provide at the outset, the easier it is to make a claim for compensation.

  • Get names and address of other drivers involved. If I am contacted by someone who has suffered an injury in a road traffic accident, one of the first issues we need to consider is whether the identity of the other driver is known.
  • Get insurance details. Better still, it is very helpful to get hold of their vehicle registration number and insurance company details and policy numbers.

Road accident compensation claims are started by submitting a form online containing all the details of the claim to the other insurance company.  If details of the other driver’s insurance company are not available, it can make matters a little difficult.

  • Get witness details.  Try to get the names, addresses and vehicle registration numbers of any witnesses who saw the accident.  Their assistance may be crucial in resolving that the other driver was to blame and therefore support your claim for compensation.
  • Use your camera phone. Most people have camera phones. Take advantage of this to photograph vehicle locations, road signs, skid marks, vehicle damage etc.  Do not be afraid to use this.

Being involved in a road accident is a traumatic experience in itself without all the worry of wondering whether you have a claim for injuries sustained in the accident. If you have suffered an injury and are unsure what to do, give Vicki Wright a call on 023 92 483322 for practical, friendly and fuss-free advice.