A 49 year old man from South Shields has lost the sight in one eye after an accident at work.
The man was working at Faltec Europe Ltd.’s when a compressed air hose whipped him in the face in July 2012.
The man, who has asked not to be named, was carrying out maintenance work to clean a paint fume filter. When he had finished, he isolated the compressed air supply at the connection point and went to disconnect the equipment.
He was unaware that the pressure from the flexible hose needed venting before disconnection and as a result the hose whipped and struck him in the face. This hit his right eye and broke his cheekbone.
The man has permanently lost the sight in his eye, but has been able to return to work.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated and found that Faltec Europe LTD had failed to provide the man with sufficient information, instruction or training on using the equipment when the accident at work occurred.
Vicki Wright, expert personal injury lawyer at Swain & Co says, “This accident at work was entirely preventable. As a result of his employer’s failings, a man has lost his sight and his injury will affect him for the rest of his life.”
“There should have been a safe system of work in place to keep employees safe from air blasts and whipping or snaking hoses.”