Two asbestos surveyors have been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after construction workers are exposed to asbestos fibres on a refurbishment project.
They failed to identify the presence of asbestos at 32 different locations in the former Sale Hotel on Marsland Road in Sale.
The two surveyors were hired to carry out full asbestos survey on the disused pub before a major refurbishment project was to be carried out.
They produced the report following a visit to the site on 31st May 2011. This report was used by the principal contactor to plan work to be carried out and where licensed companies were needed to remove asbestos before work was carried out.
But, the report failed to identify a large amount of asbestos in the basement. Because of this failure, workers were exposed to potentially deadly fibres whilst they carried out work.
The contractors immediately stopped work and brought in a specialist firm when one of its employees raised concern.
The asbestos insulation was not hidden and was easily spotted in a second survey.
Swain & Co.’s personal injury solicitors say that asbestos surveyors play a vital role in the construction industry and are relied upon to keep workers safe.
When they fail to do this, innocent workers can come into contact with toxic and potentially life threatening fibres.
Asbestos insulation was used commonly in buildings up until the 1980’s to help insulate pipes and structural steel within buildings. The insulation becomes highly dangerous when unsealed or disturbed and fibres are released into the air.
Fibres that are inhaled can become lodged in the lungs or digestive tract. In the future, it can lead to lung cancer and other asbestos related diseases and symptoms may not present for many years.
If you have been exposed to asbestos, call us for a free consultation to discuss the possibility of bringing a claim.
We can act for you on a No Win No Fee basis, so our service could cost you nothing*
So call us for free on 0800 0351 999